- This event has passed.
Crystals, Candy, and Clinker materials science workshop (Cleveland)
11.5.2022 | 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
This workshop will introduce teachers of middle school science, chemistry, earth science, geology and environmental science to materials sciences. A review of 9 labs will help students see various applications of materials in everyday life.
- observe how thermal processing impacts metals
- discover how metals and glass react to annealing and quenching
- create composite materials to test
Activities will include:
- Hot or Not? Heat a brick on one side without heat affecting the other side.
- Candy fiber pull: Heat Jolly Ranchers and see how sugar fibers resemble the fibers of glass.
- Glass bead on a wire: Identify metals using borax and heat.
- Engineered concrete: Mix cement and composite materials to see which is strongest.
- Piezoelectric materials: Discover materials that generate an electric charge with applied pressure.
- Shape memory alloys: Observe alloys that return to their original shape after heating and bending.
- Thermal processing of bobby pins: Experiment with annealing and quenching to see the effect on metal.
- Thermal shock: Determine the differences in glass materials when heated and cooled.
- How strong is your chocolate? See if your favorite candy bar can stand up to weight.
Participants will hear from industry experts about careers and real-world applications during lunch.
All participants will receive a materials science classroom kit ($250 value) and .7 CEUs, as well as the opportunity to apply for replacement supplies through a kit grant option.
Addresses standards in Chemistry, Physical science, Environmental science and Physical geology.Register Now