Statewide Design Challenge
Bring STEM to any school with a design challenge
Design challenges are activities or competitions that students participate in to solve real-world problems. Through the challenge, students engage in creative problem-solving, boosting skills like collaboration and grit.
For many schools, participating in the statewide design challenge was the perfect way to begin implementing high-quality STEM education best practices.
Annual statewide challenge
Each year, the Ohio STEM Learning Network hosts a design challenge where students collaborate to create a workable solution to key issues facing our world. Any school in Ohio can participate in the challenge.
Over the course of the challenge, we provide:
- Online resources for teachers and students
- Professional development events to support teachers
- Participation certificates for every student
- Regional and state level awards each spring
#STEMsecuresOhio OSLN Statewide Design Challenge
Educators know that learning is at its best when students can find a personal connection to their work. This year’s design challenge was created to help students do just that – connect to the world around them.
This year’s challenge is:
How can we secure our data, our environment, or our way of life? Identify a focus and develop a plan, product or system that provides or improves security for someone or something.
Dates and deadlines
- January 2023: Winner for sticker design challenge announced
- January 18, 4-5p: Question and answer session (Event link should be emailed to you based on your registration)
- January 27: School registration due to compete in statewide showcase
- March 24: Submissions due for statewide showcase
- Early April: Winning student presentations for each hub announced
- April 26: State showcase
Design Challenge guidebook
Participants in the #STEMsecuresOhio Design Challenge, received a brief guidebook. The guidebook provided one-stop shop for quick answers about getting started with design thinking, sample resources, and much more.