Innovative Leaders Institute
Lead with STEM
The Innovative Leaders Institute empowers school leaders to transform current practices and bring high-quality STEM education to their students. This year-long professional learning program is designed for school leaders interested in:
- Creating or strengthening STEM culture and identity in the school buildings they lead
- Forging strong business and community partnerships and leveraging these relationships to create authentic learning experiences
- Applying transformational leadership strategies to support their faculty in implementation of STEM instructional approaches
- Challenging traditional approaches to teaching, learning and assessment
After nearly a decade, the Ohio STEM Learning Network has molded this program into the state’s best way to prepare aspiring STEM school leaders for success. Through this leadership pipeline, we foster new high-quality STEM/STEAM schools and expand STEM education for all students.
Who is this program for?
If your school is:
- Looking to expand STEM instructional practices inside multiple classrooms OR
- Interested in designation as an Ohio STEM/STEAM school OR
- Already a designated STEM/STEAM school and looking to continue to innovate
Apply with your partner in change
Leading for transformational change is hard. A partner is key.
After nearly a decade of helping leaders create change, we have learned a strong partner is key. That is why the institute accepts applications from a school team.
Teams should include:
- Principal/assistant principal (or equivalent school or district level position)
- Another leader in the same building (administrator, instructional coach, teacher-leaders, curriculum specialist, etc.)
During the year-long Innovative Leaders Institute, the participants will complete a deep learning experience including:
- multiple workshops
- visits to innovative Ohio STEM or STEAM designated schools
- mentoring experiences with veteran STEM school leaders
- collaborative exercises to connect with peer leaders and build their professional networks
- Transformational leadership
- STEM school identity and culture
- Role of school leaders in establishing robust STEM practices schoolwide
- Elements of high-quality STEM education
- Leading for effective implementation of STEM instructional practices
- Creating and leveraging community and business partnerships
2023-2024 Innovative Leaders Institute offerings
Innovative Leaders Institute: Reimagined
Open to all school leaders in Ohio, including school leaders who participated in the Institute prior to 2020.
Rural Innovative Leaders Institute
Offered in partnership with the Appalachian STEM Collaborative, the Rural Innovative Leaders Institute, is open to school leaders from rural schools. Priority consideration is given to leaders from the Appalachian region of the state. The topics in the institute are examined from the unique perspective of rural education.