Host an educator
Businesses, advance STEM in your area by hosting a teacher
Help teachers advocate to students about the career opportunities in modern manufacturing and engineering. Become a host site for the 2023 Ohio STEM Learning Network (OSLN) Teacher Academy. Your business can support the growth of future ready talent in our state!
Over a two-day externship, OSLN Teacher Academy participants will learn about a local STEM business, expand their skills, and help address the STEM skills gap in manufacturing and engineering.
Ohio educators are eager to learn from you. Join this important effort today!
Possible host sites include:
- Direct manufacturers
- Secondary supply chain businesses
- Part suppliers
- Engineering firms
- Tool and die companies
Externship host sites
Each participating business will host 1-3 local K-12 educators onsite for two days* between June 20, 2023 and August 15, 2023 for the optional externship component of the 2023 OSLN Teacher Academy.
Responsibilities of a host site
- Provide a tour and overview of the worksite including organizational structure, management philosophy, and personnel policies.
- Create opportunities for staff from all divisions to collaborate with teachers to identify skills and content areas required within different jobs
- Conduct a debriefing meeting to address final questions before teachers leave
* Host dates do not need to be consecutive.
About the OSLN Teacher Academy
The externship is an optional component of the OSLN Teacher Academy. This new program from OSLN aims to take educators deep into STEM best practices.
Educators in the program will:
- Learn about STEM culture, best practices in problem-based learning, and how to develop community partnerships
- Complete a course on Manufacturing 101
- Construct a new lesson for their classroom
- Optional: Complete an externship with a local STEM industry
Participants who fulfill all the program’s requirement will receive a stipend from OSLN for time spent completing the externship.