Grow STEM in your classroom
Bring the best in STEM learning to your classroom with the Ohio STEM Learning Network (OSLN) Teacher Academy. This new program will take educators deep into STEM best practices.
Over a year-long cohort experience, participants will hone their confidence and ability to:
- Build a strong STEM culture and identity inside the classroom
- Embed design thinking in everyday instruction
- Leverage authentic problem-based learning units to enhance student engagement
- Strengthen community partnerships to connect learning to local needs
Supported by the U.S. Navy
The Teacher Academy is supported, in part, by the U.S. Navy under a grant to expand the Submarine Industrial Base in the United States.
The Submarine Industrial Base includes millions of workers across 16,000 suppliers. This network of manufacturers and engineers is essential to the design, construction, maintenance and modernization of the U.S. Navy’s submarine fleet.
There are hundreds of Submarine Industrial Base Suppliers in Ohio. Key trades include: Welding, CNC Machining, Pipefitting, Non-Destructive Testing, Additive Manufacturing, Plumbing, Electrical, Machining, and Metrology.
Learn more at https://buildsubmarines.com/.
Priority deadline is April 14, 2023
- Teach at a school in the State of Ohio
- Provide direct full-time instruction to students in grades K-12 (Note: This program is open to all content areas including electives)
- Upon acceptance, ensure delivery of a commitment form signed by the school’s principal supporting the applicant’s participation in the Teacher Academy
Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to apply to this program with a partner teacher from the same school or district.
Thanks to Ohio’s generous support of the Ohio STEM Learning Network, the $1,600 program fee for the 2023-2024 Teacher Academy is waived.
The program expectations include:
- Attend all program meetings, both virtual and in-person. (See schedule)
- Complete all program tasks and activities.
- Implement strategies learned with their classes during the 2023-2024 school year.
- Complete a W-9 form upon acceptance for payment of externship stipend.
The priority deadline is April 14, 2023. If the cohort fills by this time, a waitlist will be created. Applications will close completely on May 1, 2023.
Selected participants will be notified by May 10, 2023.
- June 12-June 15, 2023: In-person workshop on in Columbus (full-day)
- Before externship: Asynchronous half-day learning session
- June – August 2023: Optional two-day business externship experience
- August 15 or 29, September 26, October 24, January 9: Virtual booster calls (2 hours)
- November 14, 2023: In-person workshop in Columbus (full-day)
- February 8, 2024: Virtual workshop (full-day)
- April 19, 2024: Final in-person meeting in Columbus (full-day)