- This event has passed.
Chickenology life science workshop
12.6.2022 | 9:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
Learn more about genetics, heredity, and food production, all related to this important Ohio industry!
Experience hands-on lessons that will engage your students and connect with your science standards! This STEM-based curriculum uses immersive learning experiences for your students to dive deep in the future evolution of our food. See how environment influences heredity, and explore the evidence that suggests T. rex as our modern chicken’s and turkey’s ancestor.
Comments from past participants:
“I appreciated all the connections between hands-on learning that addresses high interest topics and relevant career paths.”
“I liked getting to actually do the lessons and activities.”
“Thanks for helping me be a better teacher, connecting to the “real world” of the ag industry in Ohio, and helping my students learn like a scientist and engineer.”
Your young geneticists will learn to ask and answer questions like:
- How did the modern chicken and turkey survive to today?
- What role does the environment have on heredity?
- How will consumer demands influence selective breeding?
- How can we predict trait expression with phenotypic ratios?
This curriculum focuses on 8th grade Life Science standards.
This GrowNextGen program provides immersive experiences and real-time learning through:
– scientific theory and methodology
– data collection
– introductory genetics
– research and exploration
– evidence-based solutions
Teachers will receive a teacher workbook, foldscopes (student microscopes), prepared slide set, hygrometer/thermometer, and modeling and engineering materials, as well as .7 CEUs.
Chickenology is presented by GrownNextGen and funded by the Ohio Poultry Association and the Ohio Soybean Council in partnership with Educationprojects.org and OSU/4H. Lunch is provided.
* This workshop does not include or provide supplies for hatching chicks. It is NOT for extension agents or elementary teachers. This workshop is for OHIO teachers only.Register Now