Teaching computer science in early grades develops critical computational thinking skills in young learners. We understand the needs of elementary teachers are unique. K-5 teachers combine content standards across all the core disciplines. Where’s the time to bring in computer science standards and computational thinking skills? We can help you turn this obstacle into new ways to grow engagement and learning in your classroom.
The Ohio STEM Learning Network brought together experienced K-5 computer science educators with Code.org curriculum and STEM-focused strategies. Together, we built a new computer science professional learning program just for K-5 educators in Ohio. This year-long professional learning experience brings our state closer still toward computer access for all Ohio kids.
“Computer science empowers students to create the world of tomorrow.” – Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft
Teachers who apply and are accepted in the 2022-2023 OSLN Computer Science K-5 Program are expected to:
- Complete the five-day, in-person summer workshop, which will be held in Columbus, Ohio on June 20-24, 2022
- Attend two virtual, three-hour meetings during the school year (one during fall semester and one during spring semester)
- Integrate computer science standards in your instruction during the 2022-2023 school year
The five-day summer workshop will include the following topics and learning experiences:
- Experiencing plugged and unplugged computer science activities for K-5
- Integrating computer science standards in math, ELA, and science instruction
- Learning strategies for engaging students in core instruction using computer science
- Exploring Code.org curriculum for your grade level
- Collaborating with colleagues on creating an implementation plan for integration of computer science in math, ELA, and science instruction
The cost of this professional learning program is $1,800. Thanks to Ohio’s generous support of the Ohio STEM Learning Network, we have full scholarships available for eligible Ohio teachers. All K-5 teachers who will be teaching in a K-5 school in Ohio are eligible to apply. The scholarship covers the year-long program, including your teaching materials, workshop supplies, two half-days of professional development during the school year, and meals during workshops. Additional travel costs are not included in the scholarship.
The priority deadline is May 6, 2022.
For more information about the program or if you have any questions, please contact:
Ohio STEM Learning Network
Learning computer science = Engaged students
Learning experiences that incorporate computer science are highly engaging for students. Computer science curricula, such as Code.org, provide students with both plugged and unplugged activities (with or without use of a device). Because of their versatile nature, computer science standards can be taught while solving mathematical problems, tackling science challenges, and improving student language and literacy skills.
Application for educators and confirmation form for principals
For a teacher’s application to be considered, both the teacher and their principal must complete the form below.