The Manufacturing and Engineering Externship Program (MEEP) comes to Ohio in the summer of 2020. MEEP seeks to address the growing STEM skills gap in the manufacturing and engineering sectors by engaging Ohio teachers in paid summer externships with local companies in STEM industries. This program is funded by a grant from the Office of Naval Research.
Through MEEP, you’ll see STEM concepts in action. Then, with professional development, you’ll develop a new project-based learning experience to take back to your classroom.
Teachers who complete the program’s requirements will receive a $2,500 stipend.
|Read about Kristin and Carlee’s experience with the Manufacturing and Engineering Externship Program here.
Applications for the program are now open to Ohio K-12 teachers and industry partners interested in hosting teachers.
Program Timeline (2020)
- January 23 – March 13
February 29: Teacher and industry partner application period (Deadline extended to March 16)
- March: Teachers and industry partners notified about applications
- April: Teachers matched with businesses
- Spring: PBL Training
- Summer: Externships
- Fall: Reconvene for feedback
Teacher Application Form
Eligibility: The applicant must be an Ohio K-12 teacher. Teachers can apply individually or in teams of two from their school. Each applicant should submit his or her own application.
- Attend a Project-Based Learning (PBL) training hosted by the Ohio STEM Learning Network in spring 2020.
- Schedule consultation phone call or in-person visit with industry partner to ensure industry partner’s Human Resources requirements are fulfilled prior to externship experience.
- Participate in a 3- to 5-day externship experience in summer 2020.
- Develop PBL curricular unit based on externship experience to engage students with the STEM skills and habits necessary for success in the field and expose them to STEM career opportunities.
- Participate in program feedback day in fall 2020.
- The application period will be open from January 23 through February 29, 2020.
- OSLN will select 36 teachers to participate in the program. Teachers will be paired with an industry partner within 30 minutes of their school location.
- We will notify teachers about their application in March.
Questions about this application or process? Email Brittany Hines at Battelle at [email protected].