Manufacturing and Engineering Externship Program (MEEP)
Bringing educators inside local businesses to inspire new ideas
The Manufacturing and Engineering Externship Program seeks to address the growing STEM skills gap in the manufacturing and engineering sectors by engaging Ohio teachers in paid summer externships with local companies in STEM industries. This program is funded by a grant from the Office of Naval Research.
Through MEEP, you’ll see STEM concepts in action. Then, with professional development, you’ll develop a new project-based learning experience to take back to your classroom.
Eligibility and stipend
The applicant must be an Ohio K-12 teacher. Teachers can apply individually or in teams of two from their school. Each applicant should submit his or her application. Teachers who complete the program’s requirements will receive a $2,500 stipend.
MEEP Details and Expectations
- Attend a Project-Based Learning (PBL) training hosted by OSLN in spring 2022.
- Schedule a consultation call, or in-person visit, with the industry partner to ensure the industry partner’s Human Resources requirements are fulfilled before externship experience.
- Participate in a 2-day externship experience in Summer 2022.
- Develop and publish a PBL curricular unit based on externship experience to engage students with the STEM skills and habits necessary for success in the field and expose them to STEM career opportunities.
- Participate in the program feedback/wrap-up day in in September 2022.
- Participate in the program evaluation process.
- June 13th-16th OR June 20th– 23rd: PBL 101 and PBL Deep Dive training and introduction to manufacturing professional development series (educators select one of these two weeks to participate in training)
- July: Virtual meetings + 2 in-person days onsite at a local business
- August – September: Teacher readiness touch base
- September 30th: Teachers submit a draft of their PBL created from the externship experience
- September: Program reconvening (anticipated 1-day, in-person session)