The Ohio STEM Learning Network collaborates with the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) to support the STEM/STEAM school designation process. STE(A)M designation is written into Ohio law, and the law defines the contents of the applications for STE(A)M school designation.
Periodically, the Ohio STEM Learning Network and ODE make clarifications to the application process, including updating the application itself.
A new STE(A)M designation application was approved by the Ohio STEM Committee, the group of policymakers, agency directors, and business leaders that considers STEM applications, on September 20, 2019. The new application is available for download. You can also download the rubric used to evaluate the application on the same page.
This year’s application timeline has been modified to include time for school visits. A representative from the Ohio STEM Learning Network and the Ohio Department of Education may visit your school to get additional information on your application. School site visits will only be conducted for those being considered for STEM School Designation based on their application review outcomes.
STE(A)M DESIGNATION APPLICATION TIMELINE
Beginning of October – December 13, 2019:
- Review application materials (Quality Model for STEM and STEAM Schools and Ohio STEM Designation Rubric) Self Reflection to determine qualification for STE(A)M Designation.
- Submit a Letter of Intent to the Ohio Department of Education by 5 pm on December 13th. Email to [email protected].
Attend a technical assistance/designation information session (Optional, but recommended)
- October 10, 2019: Bigelow Hill Elementary School, Findlay 9:30-2:30
- October 16, 2019: Bio-Med Science Academy, Rootstown 9:30-2:30 (Full)
- October 24, 2019: Chillicothe Primary School, Chillicothe 9:30-2:30
- November 14, 2019: Dayton Regional STEM School, Dayton 9:30-2:30
- November 18, 2019: Ranger High-Tech Academy, North Ridgeville 9:30 – 2:30 (Newly added)
- Online Webinar: December 5, 2019, 4:30-5:30
Click here to register for a designation information session.
December 20, 2019: Notify the Ohio STEM Learning Network if seeking technical assistance. (Technical assistance is optional but recommended). Email to [email protected].
January 3, 2020: Submit rough draft of application/portfolio to the Ohio STEM Learning Network for technical assistance. Email to [email protected]. You will receive feedback on your draft application in time to make changes prior to final submission to ODE.
January 31, 2020: Final applications due to ODE by 5 p.m. on Friday, January 31. Email to [email protected]
February and March 2020: After a preliminary review from the Ohio STEM Learning Network, site visits to selected schools will be conducted during February and March. A school may also request a site visit when submitting their application.
Beginning of April 2020: Applicants will be notified of the Ohio STEM Learning Network’s recommendation.
End of April 2020: The Ohio STEM Committee will vote on designated schools.
May 2020: Designation Celebration and presentation of banners