- This event has passed.
Chickenology life science workshop
05.1.2023 | 9:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
Chickenology: Explore genetics to breed the best brood
Take your students on a tour through the genetic history and potential future of our favorite fowl. This STEM-based curriculum uses immersive learning experiences and real genetic samples for your students to dive deep in the future evolution of our food. See how environment influences heredity, and explore the evidence that suggests T. rex as our modern chicken’s and turkey’s ancestor.
Your students will learn to ask and answer questions like:
- How did the modern chicken and turkey survive to today?
- What role does the environment have on heredity?
- How will consumer demands influence selective breeding?
- How can we predict trait expression with phenotypic ratios?
- Learn about all of this and more with Chickenology, a thrilling entry into the field of genetics and food production.
If your student is familiar with ChickQuest, they will be excited for the next step in Chickenology. This curriculum focuses on 8th grade life science and biology standards.
This GrowNextGen program provides immersive experiences and real-time learning through:
- scientific theory and methodology
- data collection
- introductory genetics and cladograms
- research and engineering design
- evidence-based solutions
Teachers will receive a teacher workbook, foldscopes (student microscopes), prepared slide set, hygrometer/thermometer, and modeling and engineering materials, as well as .7 CEUs.
Chickenology is presented by GrownNextGen and funded by the Ohio Poultry Association and the Ohio Soybean Council in partnership with Educationprojects.org and OSU/4H.
* This workshop does not include or provide supplies for hatching chicks. It is NOT for elementary teachers. Limited spots available for extension teachers. This workshop is for OHIO teachers only.Register Now