- This event has passed.
Ag Biotech Academy workshop (2-day event)
06.28.2022 | 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Ag Biotech Academy introduces teachers to the ways biotech is incorporated into agriculture using biotech skills in food science activities and biofuels labs. For teachers of biology, chemistry and environmental science. (OHIO teachers only)
At this two-day workshop all participants will experience:
– Industry speakers addressing current trends in the use of biotechnology in agriculture
– Biotech lab skills (basic micropipetting, septic technique, calculating and making dilutions, pouring agar plates)
– Introduction to gel electrophoresis
– Soil dilution and bacterial growth
– Gram staining of bacteria
– Genetic modification detection in food through the use of PCR and gel electrophoresis
– Biofuels labs (making and testing biodiesel)
A virtual industry tour will be included in the workshop.
At the industry dinner held the first night of the workshop, participants will have the opportunity to talk with experts such as field agronomists, soybean researchers, those in the fields of agribusiness & communications, ag production, and others. Attendees are expected to attend this dinner.
Each teacher will receive over $300 worth of classroom lab supplies. 18 hours of contact time will be awarded for the 2 day workshop and 1 hour of graduate credit from Ashland University is available for $180.Register Now