Instructional coaches and lead-teachers help other educators grow and strengthen teaching ideas and methods. The Fostering STEM Institute will help teacher-leaders increase coaching capacity for STEM instructional practices.
Over this year-long program, participants will collaborate with peer educators from Ohio. Build connections. Share coaching approaches that enhance instruction and build STEM culture. All to help expand quality STEM education to reach more young people.
The Fostering STEM Institute supports the outcomes of other OSLN programs, including the Innovative Leaders Institute, STE(A)M Designation and STE(A)M Redesignation process, and OSLN professional learning series. However, past or anticipated participation in these programs is not a requirement for acceptance into the Fostering STEM Institute. Intended participants come from schools with an established STEM focus but not necessarily from STE(A)M designated schools. Participants will leverage their existing knowledge of STEM pedagogy to gain expertise in effective coaching practices.
Applications close June 17, 2022. Click here or scroll down to apply.
Program core topics:
During the 2022-2023 Fostering STEM Institute, the cohort participants will engage in multiple workshops, job-embedded supports, and leverage their collaborative teams. The core topics include the following:
- STEM culture of the school community and its stakeholders
- Coaching strategies to enhance and foster STEM culture
- Core attributes of STEM pedagogy
- Coaching strategies to strengthen and foster STEM pedagogy
- Coaching strategies for development of habits of mind
- Onboarding new faculty
- Setting, implementing, and assessing coaching goals related to STEM practices
- Two-day in-person workshop in September (September 22 and 23, 2022)
- Virtual 2-hour meeting in October (Date TBD)
- Virtual 2-hour meeting in November (Date TBD)
- One-day in person workshop in December (December 1, 2022)
- One-day virtual workshop in early February (Date TBD)
- Virtual 3-hour meeting in March (Date TBD)
- One-day in person workshop in May (May 3, 2023)
- Ongoing: Peer-to-peer mentorship
The program fee for the 2022-2023 Fostering STEM Institute is waived for eligible applicants. To be considered eligible, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Provide instructional support to teachers on a regular basis (instructional coach, lead teacher, etc)
- Work in a STE(A)M designated school, or a school with an established STEM focus
- Commit to attending all program meetings (virtual and in-person)
- Commit to completing all program tasks and activities
- Commit to implementing the strategies learned in the cohort during the 2022-2023 school year
- Upon acceptance, provide a letter of support from the school principal to participate in the Fostering STEM Institute
The inaugural 2022-2023 cohort is limited to 25 participants.
If travel cost is a barrier to your participation in the program, consider applying for the OSLN Travel Grant. Applications for the OSLN Travel Grant are reviewed on a rolling basis at the end of each month.
Breakfast and lunch will be provided for all participants. The in-person workshops will be held in Columbus. Applications close June 17, 2022. The selected cohort participants will be notified by July 29, 2022.
Please contact Sandra Wilder ([email protected]) with questions regarding this program.
Applications close June 17, 2022.