- This event has passed.
STEM school designation reviewer training
06.29.2023 | 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
The Ohio STEM Learning Network seeks educational leaders from designated STE(A)M schools interested in joining the OSLN designation review team.
Please register by May 31, 2023 to participate in this training and become eligible to review schools for the upcoming cycle.
Refreshments and lunch during the training will be provided. Participants who live at least 25 miles from Battelle will be offered a travel stipend.
Why be a designation reviewer?
- Inform the review process by providing practitioner-oriented perspective of school’s STEM practices and identity
- Bring your voice in to help refine the designation process
- Strengthen your personal knowledge and understanding of standards for quality STEM education and practice
- Connect to new ideas to inform your school’s STEM practice and culture
- Build connections with other STEM and STEAM school leaders and educators
Reviewers attend a training, review a school’s written application for designation, complete a review team calibration, and finally complete a site visit to the applying school.
Detailed reviewer responsibilities:
- Attend the initial reviewer training and refresher training in the future years
- Maintain prompt communication with the OSLN Designation Lead (Sandra Wilder) and Site Visit Coordinators (OSLN designation team members)
- Be familiar with the STEM and STEAM Designation Rubric, Site Visit Protocol, and SlideRoom platform
- Timely share availability for site visits
- Practice the site visit norms and confidentiality
- Review a minimum of 2 schools per year
Schools are assigned to match the reviewer’s OSLN hub.
Time commitment estimates and stipend
Per school reviewed:
- 3-5 hours reading and scoring of application in SlideRoom
- 1 hour calibration discussion with review team
- 1 day site visit, including capturing detailed notes and feedback
- $250 stipend (can go to the reviewer or their school)