The Ohio STEM Learning Network exists to improve access to and quality of STEM education across Ohio, inspiring students and laying the founding for a growing state economy.
We expand STEM education of through professional development and networking for educators, student opportunities like the #STEMpowersOhio Design & Entrepreneurship Challenge, our regional STEM hubs, and our collaboration with the Ohio Department of Education to support the designation of STEM/STEAM schools.
Pursuing STEM/STEAM designation is a way for schools to communicate their values and priorities to their community stakeholders. Designated STEM/STEAM school share these attributes:
- Culture of innovation
- Inquiry-based, hands-on instruction throughout all content
- Meaningful STEM partnerships with businesses and higher education institutions (colleges and universities)
- Proven platform for sharing best practices
- Leader and teacher development
- Career exploration and work-based learning experiences for students
In order to be designated a STEM or a STEAM school, the above-listed attributes must apply to all the students in a building, not just a select group. In Ohio, we believe that STEM/STEAM education needs to be available for all students. If you are interested in applying for designation this year, please note the following dates:
December 15th: Complete this survey to inform the Ohio Department of Education and the Ohio STEM Learning Network on your intent to apply and if technical assistance will be pursued.
January 15th: Submit a rough draft of the application/portfolio to the Ohio STEM Learning Network for technical assistance. Email rough drafts to [email protected]. (Note: When you submit a draft, your submission will be acknowledged within one business day. If you do not receive an acknowledgement, please send an brief message to [email protected] to help us investigate whether your email was blocked by our filters.)
If you need additional assistance regarding STEM designation, please review the following webinar series:
- Exploring the quality model for STEM/STEAM schools
- Creating a culture of innovation to support STEM best practices
- Beyond PBL: What does teaching and learning look like in a STEM school?
- Building community partnerships to provide real-world context
Here at the Ohio STEM Learning Network, we’re happy to answer questions along the way – please don’t hesitate to reach out.